How to get Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
PPE Distribution Program
Eligible researchers in a UCSD lab receive the following minimum Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) through the EH&S sponsored PPE Distribution Program: 2 lab coats and 2 pairs of safety glasses
For more information on the EH&S sponsored PPE Distribution Program, including laundering service, see the BLINK link PPE Support for Researchers.
UCSD Research staff, post docs, graduate students, paid UG students, other UCSD affiliates/ volunteers. Contact the EH&S PPE team at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Have your lab manager add you as “Lab Personnel” under your Principal Investigator’s (faculty) “PI Profile” through the My Research Safety home page.
- Have your lab manager add you as a lab member in your PI’s Chemical Hazard Use Application(CHUA). For detailed instructions on how to do this, EH&S put together this tutorial.
- Once you have been added to CHUA, please stop by the PPE Office at your convenience so that you may be fitted for a lab coat and safety glasses. Once the coats are ordered it will take 5-6 weeks for the coats to be delivered. The lab coats will be delivered directly to the lab.
- PPE Fitting Room
Location: University Center 401 (map), Room 107 114
Hours: Monday-Friday, 10am-3pm
Contact: email@example.com, (858) 534-2698
- EH&S has a lab coat loaner program in place to tide researchers over until lab coats arrive. Be sure to ask to for a loaner lab coat at the time you are being fitted. Alternatively, if your lab has spare lab coats, you may use these until your personalized lab coats arrive as long as they are in good condition and fit you well.
- Lastly, once you receive your personalized lab coats, your lab manager needs to record the date you received them and what type of lab coat (regular white lab coat or flam resistant blue lab coat) you received in your PI’s CHUA. Any loaner lab coats must be returned to the EH&S PPE Office in UCtr 401.
People who will be on campus less than 6 months may take part in the loaner lab coat program. Contact the EH&S PPE team at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
If you are not a UCSD student or staff member (i.e., visiting scholars, volunteers, etc.), you must have a UCSD Single Sign-On affiliate account.
Lab members may use other lab coats not provided by the PPE Distribution Program if the coats are in good condition and adhere to the PPE standard identified in the Laboratory Hazard Assessment process.
See Personal Protective Equipment - Requirements: Research Employees to learn how to use the Laboratory Hazard Assessment Tool (LHAT) in UCSD's Chemical Hazard Use Application.