Research for Academic Credit
The Division of Biological Sciences offers a number of courses in which students can earn academic credit for conducting independent research with a faculty mentor. An online application is required for each quarter of intended participation. Submission of an application does not guarantee approval for academic credit. Application deadlines are strictly enforced.
- Gain hands-on lab experience
- Study with outstanding faculty
- Meet new people who share your interests
- Explore a new field of study or enhance your current one
- Participate in the design of a project
- Acquire data analysis experience
- Practice essential lab techniques
- Get a head start in your career
- Earn credit towards your biology major
- One quarter of BISP 196, 197 or 199 (if taken for 4 units) may apply to biology major requirements as an elective or a biology lab (for select majors).
- Only one quarter of BISP 196/197/199 may apply to biology major requirements.
- Opportunity to present your research at the Divisional Research Showcase
The academic credit research based courses offered by the Division of Biological Sciences are listed below. Click on the link for additional information about each course type.
Lower-Division Courses (students must have 30-89.9 UC units completed prior to the quarter of participation)
Upper-Division Courses (students must have 90+ UC units completed prior to the quarter of participation)